Commencement Remarks 2017

Honored Guests, Board Members, Fellow Administrators, Teachers, Parents and our Class of 2017!

As I watched you each at the prom this week, I couldn’t help but think back to 5:30 am on Friday, October 6th. As I walked into the school and saw the iced Macchiatos and coffee coolattas lining the kiosk, I was amazed at how the entire lobby was decorated with stained glass windows in shades of purple. The 2nd floor was transformed- only one example of how your class alone made everything in our school better and different. Your class changed the entire tone in the building to one of community, one of respect and one of excellence.

Whether you were presenting your Calculus final in Mrs. Thompson’s class, planning the Science Research Symposium, or a Journey’s presentation, your class set the standard and did it with style, with heart, and with grace.

Who could ever forget the pinnacle moments your class made so memorable at our school…

• Wrestling, Cheerleading, and Track send offs to the NY State Championships… I know one thing you will miss is that Tiger Roar before “We Are The Champions” plays
  • You led Theaterworks in a professional level production of Billy Elliot
  • Your strength in music led to a sensational performance of Carmina Burana
  • You laid the foundation for Science Research by inspiring others to join the program
  • You Volleyed for the Valley for another Charity Champions win.
  • And you had an amazing prom – and an amazing year led by your senior class officers and advisors, Mrs. DeMaine and Mr. Zupan. Can we have a round of applause for their creativity and hard work to make things extra special.

Whether in a social setting, the athletic fields or the classroom, your class has always set themselves apart by making a difference, acts that make Mrs. Cefaloni and the rest of us proud.

Often we don’t realize that we all make a difference in each other’s lives. But, how did your class really define what “making a difference” means…

• You smiled in the hallway and greeted teachers and administration with kindness
  • You were cooperative when big changes were made
  • You were humble about your talents and achievements
  • You were enthusiastic about learning and strived to meet your potential
  • You responded to behavioral correction with maturity and understanding. Well… most of the time..;)
  • You gave others the benefit of the doubt and did not quickly pass judgment on your peers.
  • You were models of civil discourse in a society that could take a few lessons from young people like yourselves.
  • You contributed positively and generously to the school communities that you are a part of.
  • You created warm environments by singing Piano Man during lunch in the Band Room
  • You always had my back, especially when I attempted to stop on a hoverboard.

There is no doubt in my mind that you will continue to make a difference in the lives of others and the communities that you become a part of. What makes you different is what the world needs. What makes you different is what’s worth celebrating today!

As Margaret Mead, an American anthropologist and speaker, once stated, “A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”

I hope that you will always remember that you are valued and loved at Putnam Valley High School and that you will always make a difference.