Ask the Teachers!

Every year students graduate and move on. Teachers remain. Teachers are the one steady, and the one constant over time in a school building. Teachers are the school as much as the brick, mortar, books and pencil sharpeners. The key to bringing positive change to any building is to listen to the teachers and get their input.

1. Teachers KNOW the history of the building. They have survived administrations, programs, and students. They know what programs worked and why. They know what programs failed and why. Administrators should not be shy about asking teachers to talk about the past to gain insight into how to move forward.
2. Teachers KNOW the students. Teachers are the closest contact with students. They know what is “in” and they know what is “out.” They know how to relate to students. Administrators need to keep an open door with teachers to hear what is happening on “the ground” and to understand how to proceed on important issues.
3. Teachers KNOW how to make initiatives work effectively. Teachers often tire of not being consulted and often become frustrated with changes where there is no follow through or forethought into the outcome. Administrators need to communicate their ideas and gain teacher input that will foster success.

I am fortunate enough to work in a building where the teachers are 100% supportive. Over the past year, there were many situations involving students that required me to respond in a firm manner. As any new principal knows, it can be a challenge to win over a new student body, in particular, the senior class. Thankfully, teachers at PVHS worked behind the scenes to help students understand the reasons behind each action and to make sense of each event. Without the teacher’s support, students would have been much more reticent to accept how we were moving forward as a school community.

The teachers also helped me to understand the “why” behind programs that existed and structures that had been in place. As a former history teacher, it’s important for me to understand the historical context of a building. Through listening to teachers, I gained a better understanding of the moods and conditions that existed and the significance of previous events. This knowledge helped to guide me in all areas from creating a duty schedule, to planning professional development.

In summary, the old cliché is true.. “those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.” Regardless of administrative experience, principals need to learn about their building, the history of their faculty and all of the “ins and outs” that came before. This work can be accomplished through building the best relationships with teachers. Teachers are a valuable resource that can provide the keys for moving the whole building forward. Their historical knowledge and professional insights can lead everyone to success.